The Milton Fire Department has selected the KNOX-BOX® Rapid Entry System to provide non-destructive emergency access to commercial and residential property. More than 8,000 fire departments and government agencies use KNOX-BOX® key boxes, vaults, cabinets, key switches, padlocks, locking FDC caps and electronic key retention units for safe and secure rapid entry. The use of the KNOX-BOX® Rapid Entry System will help the Milton Fire Department to:
- Eliminate needless, costly forced entry damage that may not be covered by your insurance deductible.
- Assure immediate building entry by firefighters without delay or waiting for building keys.
- Protect inventory, equipment and supplies from unnecessary water damage caused by delayed sprinkler shut-off.
- Satisfy state fire codes and emergency access ordinances.
- Save you time and aggravation by not requiring you to drive to your building at 2:00 am for a false alarm.
- Help you feel secure about emergency coverage when your building is left unattended.
- Maintain building security after a fire alarm investigation by simply re-locking the undamaged door.
- Protect your property from thousands of dollars in damage with your one-time, low-cost investment.
- Depend on the highest lock box security available with attack resistant, UL tested reliability.
- Maintain the high quality fire protection our community deserves and has become accustomed to.
1. Q. Who is required to have a Knox Box key box? A. Any building that has a fire alarm system or a sprinkler system designed to National Fire Protection Association standards is required to have a Knox Box. If you are unsure if you have one of these systems, contact Milton Fire Department at 652-4201 for an official determination.
2. Q. Can I get a box if I am not required to have one? A. Yes. In fact residents may be interested in purchasing a residential box for their home to provide access not only to fire personnel, but to emergency medical personnel as well who may respond to their home in the event of a medical emergency.
3. Q. Where do I get a Knox Box? A. Order forms for the Knox Boxes are available at the Milton Fire Central Station. Boxes may also be ordered online at www.knoxbox.com.
4. Q. Which boxes are the approved models? A. For commercial and multi-residential buildings, the Model 3200 Knox Box with the hinged door is the approved box. This box can be ordered as a surface mount or a recessed mount. A number of options are available to suit the customer’s needs. For residential applications in one and two family dwellings, the Model 1650 with the hinged door is the approved box. This model comes in surface mount only.
5. Q. I’ve gotten my Knox Box, now where do I put it? A. Once you have received your box, contact the Fire Department to determine where the box should be located.
6. Q. What goes in the Knox box once it is mounted? A. Once you have mounted the Knox Box you will have to call the Milton Fire Department to make arrangements to come and lock your key box. Items that should be placed in the key box include: keys to entry doors, keys to interior doors including all mechanical rooms, alarm panel keys, owner contact information, elevator keys, and any other keys or information required by the Fire Department. At that time you will be asked to complete a Building Owner Information form that will be kept on file to ensure that we have current contact information for the building owner and any emergency contacts.